For years, you’ve been shying away from conversations. You’ve been finding it hard to make friends with other people. You’ve been suppressing your smile, fearing how people will judge you. You lost your confidence, and all for one reason: you have gaps between your teeth.
Now, you finally had it. You had enough of those years of holding back, and you finally came out seeking for a solution. You want to regain your confidence.
We understand your pain and suffering, and we’re here to help. Have you ever heard of dental veneers? It could be the solution to your long-time self-esteem problem. Find out what dental veneers are and how it can help you regain your confidence below.
What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers are a thin piece of custom-made shells designed to improve your appearance. A veneer is used to recreate the natural look of teeth, and it also provides the same strength and resilience as the natural tooth enamel. It is bonded to the front of a tooth to change its color, size, shape, or length.
Veneers can be made from resin composite or porcelain materials. But the most commonly used material is porcelain, as it can correct color and shape issues and can last from 10 to 20 years.
Types of problems veneers can fix
There are various teeth problems that veneers can fix. If you are suffering from the following condition, veneers can be the solution to your confidence issues:
- Discolored teeth
- Worn-down teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped teeth
- Gaps between teeth
This cosmetic dental procedure usually takes two to three appointments with your dentist. Below we will discuss what you should expect when you undergo the process.
- The dentist will examine your teeth to determine if dental veneers are right for you. He may also take X-rays and make impressions of your mouth and teeth.
- To prepare for a veneer, the dentist will remove an amount of enamel from the tooth surface. This is to make way for the veneer he will place on your tooth. The enamel he will remove is about ½ millimeter, which is the same thickness as the veneer. Depending on your sensitivity, local anesthesia may be applied.
- The dentist will then make an impression of your tooth, which will be sent out to an ortho lab. You may have to wait two to four weeks before your dentist receive the veneer back from the laboratory. A temporary veneer will be placed for unsightly teeth.
- Once your dentist receives the veneer, he will remove the temporary veneer from your tooth. Then, he will clean, polish, and etch your tooth to prepare for the veneer.
- The dentist will apply special cement to the veneer, and he will place it on your tooth. Then, he will use a special light beam to cure the veneer. This process is done for 60 seconds.
- The dentist will remove any excess cement and evaluate your bite. He may have to make final adjustments if necessary.
- You will be required to come back for a follow-up visit to check for comfort.
Dental veneers are a proven solution to several teeth problems that cause loss of confidence. You don’t have to endure your suffering because of your gapped teeth. Take the procedure now, regain your confidence, and flash a beautiful smile soon.